My apologies for not updating the blog, I truly thought that no one was following our adventures and misadventures on Moorahme.  It appears I was wrong, and we have a pretty strong following.  To you, I say thank you, and I will strive to do a better job on the updates.  So…

Moorahme is patiently waiting for our return in Brunswick, Georgia at Brunswick Landing Marina, an awesome marina with the best staff, cement floating docks, free laundry facilities, a great club house, free wine supplied by management a few times a week, and clean washrooms.  An excellent hurricane hole once used by the U.S. Navy, it is a great marina to be in, and close to the wonderful restaurants downtown and very close to the farmer’s market.  See here:

Beth and I had realized that with impending appointments and meetings back home in Windsor, that we would be hard pressed for time to return in a timely manner.  We really needed to be home by the end of March.  Our car was still over in the Punta Gorda area, and it was time to call in the troops so to speak and get some help in getting Moorahme to Brunswick Georgia.  So, e-mails were sent out to Jamie and Miriam Garnier, and Dirk Vanderdoe.  Fran Budinsky just couldn’t make the trip, the timing was not good.  We had our new crew fly in to Nassau, and join us on the boat.  What a great decision that was for us, and for them.  We were to sail up to Freeport with the full crew, and then Beth would fly from Freeport to Punta Gorda to retrieve the car.

Dirk – recovering

Miriam and Beth Immersed in literature

Randy surveying the surroundings

Randy surveying the surroundings

Jamie and Miriam at Great Harbor Cay beach

Jamie and Miriam at Great Harbor Cay beach

We had some great sailing from Nassau to Freeport, sailed past one of the cruise ship owned islands, saw a huge sea turtle, a large number of dolphins, a hammerhead shark, and we even saw a wheelbarrow in 21 feet of water as we motor sailed past Nassau.  A wheelbarrow!

Anchored near Chub Cay

Anchored near Chub Cay

But alas, no gold!  We had intended to re-fuel and get a pump out at Chub Cay, but discovered that they did not provide pump outs.  Oh oh!  Our tanks were getting a wee bit on the full side, so were journeyed on, hoping that we could get a pump out in Freeport.

Moorahme at anchor in Great Harbor

Moorahme at anchor in Great Harbor

We arrived in Freeport with a dolphin escort, hopefully we can attach the video of them playing with Moorahme.  We arranged for fuel over the VHF radio, and a pump out…in two different marinas.  So…we fueled up at one, and then headed over to the other, a mere one eighth of a mile away via the canal system, to pump out our head tanks.   This proved, once again, to be an adventure.  The pump out hose leaked like a sieve.  Nice.  We grabbed our tools, and being the resourceful sailors that we are, led by Dirk we sealed the hose.  Pumped out the tanks ourselves, and then paid full price for the pump outs after doing all of this….welcome to Freeport.

We stayed two nights in Freeport, Jamie has a friend who has a slip in the canal system, and he graciously told us to go ahead and use it.  Much cheaper than staying at a marina, and we got to meet some very nice people at the same time.  We arranged for Beth to get a taxi to the airport, and we headed out at 10:00 a.m. for Brunswick, Georgia with a good weather window.  There was very little wind, so we motor sailed.  This trip was going to take us about 47 hours or so straight through, and the shifts were set up in 3 hour stints.  Dinner that night was nice, it was going to be a motor sail almost all the way it appeared.  We reefed the sails before dark, and I went to lay down so that I would be fresh for my shift at midnite to 3 a.m.  At about 9:30, I was up and wondering what was happening.  We obviously were in the gulf stream, and making good time, at least it felt like it.  Sure enough, we were travelling at 9.2 to 9.4 knots with a reefed headsail, and reefed main, and the motor running along at 2300 rpm.  And it was rough!  Man, we were getting bounced around pretty good with the washboard like effect that the waves were giving us.  We backed off some on the engine rpms, settled Moorahme down, and carried on.  The winds were directly behind us, at least what winds there were, at between 6 and 10 knots.  It was not a comfortable night at all, with the diesel fumes being blown into the cockpit and  the washboard effect of the waves.  I felt rather nauseous, and I wasn’t alone.  Nice to have good friends to share that with. LOL!  We made it through the night without any issues, and we made very good time all day long.  The afternoon brought us some stormy weather, and at one point we were running in front of a squall being pushed by 35 knot winds.  We made some very good time there.  We did not see any dolphins, but there were a ton of Portugese Man o’ War jellyfish as we travelled along.

Night #2 was met once again with reefed sails, a much kindlier wave motion, and we were still making good time in the gulf stream.  It was an uneventful night, and we were at the outside marker to the Brunswick channel at daybreak, perfect timing.  The channel into Brunswick is a tight channel, and I am glad that we did not meet any large ships coming out, nor were we chased up the channel by either of the two freighters waiting for the river pilots to bring them in.

Brunswick Landing Marina is about 2.5 hours up the well marked channel.  It was great to finally arrive and be met by Sherrie the dockmaster, and Jeff and Bonne Kinniff who had been awaiting our arrival. I have mentioned Jeff and Bonnie previously, they had purchased their Catalina 470 in Annapolis last fall, and sailed her down with Dave and Erin Townley, our boat brokers.  We pumped the head tanks, loaded up with fuel, and docked at dock #8 with Jeff and Bonnie on Light Waves.  What a gorgeous boat that Catalina is!  We hope to meet up with them this fall when they are done sailing with the Herl’s gang up on Lake Erie in their other sailboat.

Beth arrived with the car shortly after, and it was time to start prepping Moorahme for her stay at the marina.  Empty the freezer and refrigerator, pump some Odorloss into the head tanks, make sure there was enough RO water to leave the watermaker in standby mode, etc.  By leaving the watermaker in standby mode, there is a 5 gallon flush of fresh water sent through the watermaker every 155 hours to keep the membrane clean and clear of buildups including nasty stuff…how’s that for a technical term?

The next morning, after a sound sleep, we finalized the preparations, closed off all the sea cock thru hulls except for the galley sink, set up the dehumidifier to drain into that sink, lifted mattresses and cushions, got rid of all the perishables and we were on the road by 10:30 a.m. for the long trip home.  I won’t bore you with those details, but suffice it to say, it was a long day.

Since arriving home, we’ve caught up on dental and doctor’s appointments, sold Kewalo, our Bayfield 29 cutter, here are some pics of her.  We purchased Kewalo from Mug and his wife Nancy.

Sunrise Sunset      Lexington marina

Sunset At Presque Isle

Sunset At Presque Isle

 She has gone to a good home, and will very shortly be sailing the Atlantic Ocean in the waters off of Connecticut.  It was a sad day to see her go, but she has gone to a good home and a very excited owner, who has started his own blog site           s/  So, we can still be part of her life in some way.  We are now completing other appointments, and are prepping for the return of our leased car on the 20th of this month.  We will return to Brunswick with a one way Avis rental, in a nice new Tahoe.  Should be fun!

That is enough for now, I will backdate the blog update again very shortly.  My thanks to those of you who are following us, it really surprised me to hear all of the positive comments from fellow sailors at the marina,  our friends and relatives.  Makes it worthwhile.

Until the next backdated update  Keep your stick on the ice


Where is Moorahme

4 thoughts on “Where is Moorahme

  1. Hey Randy and Beth…..again another great read. Love travelling along with you via your fun tales.
    We enjoyed being with you when you were home. Stay safe and stay in touch.
    Love to both of you
    Alana & Garry


  2. keep up the good work Randy…I love reading your blog posts, almost as much as I love laughing with you two when you’re in town.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s